Congress has voted to enact the American Rescue Plan and President Biden signed it into law today! The legislation includes nearly $50 billion in essential housing and homelessness assistance, including over $27 billion for rental assistance and $5 billion in new funding for states and cities to provide housing stability for tens of thousands of people experiencing homelessness.
The $27 billion for rental assistance, combined with the $25 billion provided by Congress last year and a separate $5 billion for utilities in the American Rescue Plan, can eliminate the over $50 billion of rent and utility arrears that renters have accrued during the pandemic and will enable longer-term housing stability for some renters. This success would not have been possible without your incredible advocacy and the unwavering leadership of congressional champions!
The $1.9 trillion relief package provides broad based relief. This new law will:
- Extend enhanced unemployment benefits through the summer.
- Give millions of people a desperately needed cash infusion of $1,400.
- Expand the Child Tax Credit and the Earned Income Tax Credit to help low- and middle-income people.
- Fully fund vaccine distribution.
- Extend nutrition assistance for hungry children and families.
- Provide housing and utility assistance to keep people in their homes.
- And deliver aid to states, communities, tribes, and territories to cover safe education in the pandemic, maintain critical services and prevent job layoffs.
This new law will cut childhood poverty in half. This new law will provide a critical lifeline for millions of people and families who have lost jobs and wages during the pandemic. And, it is vital to fully vaccinating the U.S. population.