Though our offices are closed for the Federal holiday, we are plotting how we will work towards a true end to homelessness in 2016.
Here is our holiday wish list for the coming year:
- For each one of the Presidential candidates to explain how s/he will reinvest in affordable housing and work to end homelessness.
- That each of our cities stops ticketing, harassing and arresting our homeless neighbors because they have nowhere but public spaces to eat, sleep, store personal items and take care of their hygiene and bodily needs.
- That more landlords will lease their properties to renters who have housing vouchers.
- That Congress will fully fund, and preserve funding for, the National Housing Trust Fund.
- That more cities and states will adopt Homeless Bill of Rights legislation that protects people who are unhoused from discrimination.
- That Congress adopts a minimum wage that is a living wage based on local cost of living.
- For more community engagement around housing and homelessness through participation in the Faces of Homelessness Speakers’ Bureau, National Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week, and National Homeless Persons’ Memorial Day.
- For all states to expand Medicaid under the ACA, and to invest in mental health infrastructure.
- That Federal and municipal governments follow through on their promise to end chronic and veteran homelessness by the end of 2016.
- That cities expand emergency services to meet the needs of everyone who experiences homelessness or struggles to maintain housing, including youth, ex-offenders, families and the elderly.
Here are 3 quick reasons to support NCH:
- Have you visited our website this year to learn more about homelessness?
It takes one staff member (there are 3 of us) at least one full day per week to keep our site updated – during that time, an average of about 1,500 people (per day) have accessed our pages. In 2016, we’ll be working to release updated reports and factsheets, as well as build a tool you’ll be able to use to quickly find info about homelessness in your community. Give to help provide research for other students, reserchers and advocates!
- Have you ReTweeted or shared our posts on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram?
We daily search through current events to bring you the most up to date and relevant news about advocacy to end homelessness. We’re serious about reaching you where you are. We hope you’ll be serious about supporting our work through your favorite online giving site: Network for Good, PayPal, Razoo, GoodSearch, AmazonSmile, JustGive, or find us on other sites using our Tax ID #52-1517415!
- Have you seen a Faces of Homelessness panel speaker tell their story?
We work with partners across the country – from BBYO, the Religious Action Center and the CloseUp Foundation, to schools like Villanova and Georgetown Universities – to schedule over 300 Faces presentations each year. If you are one of the approximately 15,000 people who met a speaker this year, you benefited from NCH programs! Give today so that others will have the opportunity to hear James read his poem “Arugula Salad” or to give Steve a big bear hug!