Opening posted January 19, 2024
Job Title: Senior Policy Analyst
Reports to: Executive Director
Hours: Full Time 40 hrs. per week, Flex schedule some evenings or weekends required
To apply: Send a resume or background information containing your complete work history and a cover letter referencing this position by e-mail to careers @ nationalhomeless.org.
The National Coalition for the Homeless seeks a self-motivated, outgoing Senior Policy Analyst. This individual will work closely with the Executive Director and the Policy Team in moving the organization’s agenda forward to advance the legislative, public policy goals and objectives of the organization.
- Research and monitor local, state, and federal policies regarding justice in housing as well as the income of people experiencing homelessness.
- Draft updates, newsletters, policy statements, factsheets, and reports for staff, board, website, and members.
- Support the Executive Director with national-level activities related to housing policy, including issue research, meeting coordination, and legislative advocacy.
- Develop organizing strategies aimed at winning local resources as well as building support for national level demands.
- Contribute articles and position papers to the website and monthly newsletter.
- Act as principal NCH researcher in the design and drafting of issue reports.
- Assist with engaging and managing interns.
- Represent NCH at meetings of national partner organizations.
- Assist with outreach to Board members and local grassroots partners.
- Strong research and data analysis background
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and incorporate digital social media platform
- Demonstrate ability to work with people from different backgrounds
- Be knowledgeable in policy; strategizing policy; and grant writing.
- Strong leadership and managerial skills
- Lobbying experience preferred.
Core Competency Requirements
- Collegiate and Collaborative
- Has a high level of integrity and curiosity
This position pays $55,000 per year and is a full time position with a robust benefit package that includes 2+ weeks a year of vacation and holidays, sick leave, 403b retirement plan, an employee assistance plan, and Health, Vision, Dental, Life and Disability Insurance.
About NCH: The National Coalition for the Homeless (NCH) is a national advocacy network of people who have experienced homelessness, activists, service providers and others. We envision a world where everyone has a safe, decent, accessible and affordable home. Our mission is to end and prevent homelessness while ensuring the immediate needs of those experiencing homelessness are met and their civil rights are respected and protected.
NCH affirms the following Guiding Principles/Values:
- We can end and prevent homelessness.
- People who are currently experiencing or have experienced homelessness must be leaders in all the work of NCH and in the movement to end homelessness.
- NCH believes in the dignity of all people: housing, healthy food, quality health care, education and livable incomes as basic human rights.
- It is morally, ethically, and legally wrong to discriminate against and criminalize people struggling to meet their basic needs.
- Public policy makers and elected officials at all levels must be held accountable to end the systemic and structural causes of homelessness.
- Structural racism and discrimination are root causes of homelessness and violate human dignity.
- Collaboration between NCH and its diverse stakeholders is critical in directing NCH’s work.