Opening posted January 19, 2024
Job Title: Education and Outreach Specialist
Reports to: Director of Education
Hours: Full Time 40 hrs. per week, Flex schedule some evenings or weekends required
To apply: Send a resume or background information containing your complete work history and a cover letter referencing this position by e-mail to careers @ nationalhomeless.org.
The Education and Outreach Specialist is responsible for overseeing the activities necessary to support the advocacy, public education, research, and other efforts of NCH. With a small staff, teamwork is a vital component of NCH: while each staff person has defined responsibilities, the willingness of all to “pitch in” when needed is essential to carrying out the mission of the organization. The Education and Outreach Specialist position is full-time, preferred location is based in our Washington, DC national headquarters. Location can be flexible as much of the work can be completed remotely.
- Manages and supports flow of work to support NCH educational outreach objectives.
- Assures that NCH info inbox inquiries are answered or redirected in a timely and professional manner.
- Responds to requests for information or assistance.
- Analyzes data and creates reports on incoming requests.
- Helps to maintain digital systems and filing.
- Assists program staff with scheduling and other arrangements for special meetings or projects.
- Other tasks may be assigned.
- Any combination of education and/or experience, which reflects the development of the skills necessary to carry out the tasks listed above.
- Must be familiar with the homeless services sector and systems.
- Strong, proven management and customer service skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge and use of general computer systems, Microsoft Office programs, database management, and internet usage.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collegial atmosphere with philosophically, racially, and economically diverse groups and individuals.
- Lived experience of homelessness considered in equivalence with education or job experience.
This position pays $50,000 per year and is a full time position with a robust benefit package that includes 2+ weeks a year of vacation and holidays, sick leave, 403b retirement plan, an employee assistance plan, and Health, Vision, Dental, Life and Disability Insurance.
About NCH: The National Coalition for the Homeless (NCH) is a national advocacy network of people who have experienced homelessness, activists, service providers and others. We envision a world where everyone has a safe, decent, accessible and affordable home. Our mission is to end and prevent homelessness while ensuring the immediate needs of those experiencing homelessness are met and their civil rights are respected and protected.
NCH affirms the following Guiding Principles/Values:
- We can end and prevent homelessness.
- People who are currently experiencing or have experienced homelessness must be leaders in all the work of NCH and in the movement to end homelessness.
- NCH believes in the dignity of all people: housing, healthy food, quality health care, education and livable incomes as basic human rights.
- It is morally, ethically, and legally wrong to discriminate against and criminalize people struggling to meet their basic needs.
- Public policy makers and elected officials at all levels must be held accountable to end the systemic and structural causes of homelessness.
- Structural racism and discrimination are root causes of homelessness and violate human dignity.
- Collaboration between NCH and its diverse stakeholders is critical in directing NCH’s work.